Job type: Contract up to 30th September 2020, full time or four days per week
Salary: £45,000 (pro rata) depending on experience (plus pension, international travel and flexible working conditions)
Location: Central London, SE1
New closing date: 17:00 (BST) Wednesday 25 September
About the role
We are looking for a Head of Research and Access – a key role in our global MSIF movement’s search for improved understanding and treatments for MS and in the fight for better access to treatments and health care in countries rich and poor.
This pivotal role will help bring our MS member-organisations and their research staff as well as the allied research community together. You will inspire them to identify common priorities in funding and to collaborate on research projects which increase scientific understanding that aim for treatments and ultimately – an end to MS.
You will also build consensus and lead our membership in fighting for access to such treatments and improved healthcare. Lack of access can be due to high prices of treatments, lack of reimbursement by governments or health insurance or because of other health system factors – including lack of diagnosis or failing regulation. The barriers are complex and vary from country to country.
You are a strategic, collaborative person who gets things done. You will lead and oversee implementation of both our research programme and the development of work on access.
These are linked but distinct aims. Both require skill and authority in bringing together high level research and other staff in our member organisations and the international clinical and research community, in order to facilitate their contributions to collaborative projects on these aims. You will also be good at influencing external policy and interacting with a wide range of senior stakeholders. Whilst you will be leading on both areas, much of the coordination of research projects will be undertaken by the Research Officer, who will report to you and much of the work on access will be undertaken by a consultant based in Hong Kong.
This is an exciting and varied role in a small, friendly office. There are many opportunities to get involved with international projects. We put much emphasis on equal opportunities and are flexible in finding job-arrangements that work for you and us.
To apply, please initially send a copy of your CV to Tim Hamilton-West at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for applications is 17:00 (BST) Wednesday 25th September
- International applicants need to already have the right to employment in the UK. Please state this in your application.
- Interviews will take place the week beginning 7th October.
- Ideally the candidate should be able to start in November 2019 or at the very least available for several handover sessions with the person in post during late October/early November.
- Please note that this role will require some international travel. It is essential that the chosen candidate is able to attend the MSIF Research Coordination Meeting will be held in Washington DC, week commencing 13 January 2020.