The Progressive MS Alliance is looking for people with personal experience of MS to join their Scientific Steering Committee as lay members and help shape research internationally.
Although there has been dramatic progress in treatments available for relapsing-remitting MS in the past decade, the scientific discoveries that will lead to treatments for progressive MS have remained stubbornly elusive. People with progressive MS have waited too long for breakthroughs that will significantly improve their quality of life.
The Progressive MS Alliance was set up in 2012 with a mission to accelerate the development of treatments for progressive MS by removing scientific and technological barriers. MS societies around the world are working together to make progressive MS a global research priority, encouraging collaboration between the world’s best minds and cutting edge technology.
About the role
The Alliance is now recruiting three passionate and articulate people who either have MS, or care for someone who has, to become lay members of its Scientific Steering Committee. This is a unique opportunity to use your personal experience of living with MS to help shape the work of the Alliance.
- Participating in two formal meetings each year, as well as monthly teleconferences
- Representing the perspectives of people affected by progressive MS
- Critically appraising relevant documents and contributing to discussion on the direction of the work of the Alliance.
- You must be fluent in English, as this is the working language of the Alliance
- You must be prepared to travel internationally, and will be supported to organise this
- Your expenses will be covered, and all meeting venues and accommodation will be fully accessible for people with disabilities
- This role is open to people with personal experience of all types of MS, but we particularly welcome applications from those affected by progressive MS.
- Please read the role description carefully to find out about the skills and qualities we are looking for, and for further details of the role responsibilities, time commitment and the support we can offer you.
- Complete the application form, and return to Becky Driscoll, Public Involvement Officer at the MS Society (UK) at email@example.com
- If you have any questions about this role, please contact Becky.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a telephone interview.
Closing date: 16 March 2015