There are two types of MSIF membership:
- Associate (Non-Voting) membership
- Full (Voting) membership
Organisations need to meet the following criteria in order to be admitted membership. Associate membership differs from Full membership in criterion 11. All other criteria apply for both types of membership.
- Is legally incorporated and/or registered with a relevant national authority (if applicable) as a not for profit (charitable, voluntary, public welfare or similar) organisation with a suitable governing document (Constitution/Bylaws/Memorandum and Articles of Association/Charter/Statutes, or similar)
- Is independent of, and institutionally separated from, government, political parties and private companies and operates in a transparent manner
- Adheres to the Guiding Principles within MSIF’s Policy and practices in relationships with the healthcare industry 2017 and has its own policy to clarify how it interacts with the healthcare industry in order to maintain independence
- Is driven by the urgent needs of all people with and affected by MS and ensures people with and affected by MS are central in decision making, strategy and evaluation, including representation of people with MS in the organisation’s board
- Involves voluntary participation, which includes having a committed Board of Trustees/Directors
- Keeps accurate annual records of its income, expenditure and assets, open for inspection by an independent auditor and available to MSIF
- Is sustainable in terms of planning, processes and resources
- Provides reliable and evidence-based information
- Is a national organisation and conducts at least two of the following activities:
- provides information to the MS community at a national level
- carries out awareness-raising activities and/or campaigns for people with and affected by MS in several regions and/or major towns and cities in the country
- undertakes services for people with and affected by MS in several regions and/or major towns and cities in the country
- engages in influencing national policy
- raises funds for MS research at a national level
- Is separate from any other existing MSIF member organisation, with no substantial number of shared trustees or board members, and no overlap in CEOs, managers or employees.
- Has an active Medical and Scientific Board (or equivalent) in place comprised of leaders in the MS field, including the country’s recognised neurologists and scientists (Full membership)
Has initiated the development of, and will have in place, a Medical and Scientific Board (or equivalent) comprised of leaders in the MS field, including the country’s recognised neurologists and scientists, within two years of becoming an MSIF Associate member. (Associate membership)
- Ensures regular availability of an English-speaking person, with access to email and telephone/Skype to ensure full communication with the MSIF Secretariat and other MSIF member organisations
- Accepts and abides by MSIF’s Articles of Association (clauses 10-53)
- Acknowledges their active support of, and willingness to participate in, the fulfilment of MSIF’s Strategy and Values and endorses the Global MSIF movement’s Principles to Improve Quality of Life with MS.
- Commits to communicating, networking and/or collaborating with existing or potential MSIF members in the country
- Will make a contribution to MSIF’s annual budget through the payment of membership dues.
If your MS organisation is interested in applying for membership or becoming more involved in the movement, please contact us to find out more (select ‘Membership’ from the enquiry dropdown).